DeeperSoul Blog - Deep & Soulful House Music

Non-commercial and independent music blog. Strictly 4 the love of House...

Monday, March 6

DeeperSoul Interview - Ian Friday

.

Stacey
.

"The people and leaders of this culture and lifestyle need to come together in order to secure its future. Many people love the experience of this music and we have to provide its fans a multitude of ways to participate in its growth. When this happens the future will be even brighter!"

.
PART I
.
Could you tell us how you got into djing / producing and about your early career?
.
Always loved music but I started deejaying for my college radio station and of course parties thereafter. I have been producing events for a long time but music production came later at the suggestion of Kevin Hedge of Blaze. He and Josh Milan gave me an opportunity to work on mixes for their album “Natural Blaze” and subsequently released an instrumental mix of their song “We Are One” for King Street.
.
What’s your music background? Which artists have influenced you the most?
.
I’m influenced by many things , stimulated by many things. There is art in everything and I am part of a community of artists that motivates me everyday. Of course the greats like Stevie Wonder, Sting , Fredd Hammond but in this genre that I am in, Blaze has been a great influence on me.
.
You are the founder of the “Tea Party”, a nonprofit arts organization which provided a platform for many upcoming and established artists. What’s the concept behind it? How important was it in your life?
.
It is challenging to find a space as an artist that nurtures your creative development. I am an artist and wanted and environment that brought people together to enjoy the arts. This is the Tea Party. Blame my mama. I love to see people come together and have a good time, which is what we did. A group of young people that defined their creative voices and was organized. It changed my life!
.
I have noticed you are starting a new label – Tea Party Music. What’s your goal? Can you disclose some info about the releases and artists involved in this project?
.
I am very excited and happy about this . This has been a goal for sometime and we are blessed to have this opportunity to create a platform for artists and producers to present quality soulful music. The first release is “Life Starts Today” features the same amazing vocalist as was heard on “Carib’s Leap”, Byron Moore. This will be released in March. In the cue are projects with Erro, Manchild Black, Kellie Sae, Shelley Nicole and Corey Glover to name a few.
.
What do you think of the deep/soulful house world scene at the moment and how do you think it will be in the future?
.
I am very excited about the scene. There is a lot of great music coming out from a lot of great artists and a lot of great parties to enjoy this music. The people and leaders of this culture and lifestyle need to come together in order to secure its future. Many people love the experience of this music and we have to provide its fans a multitude of ways to participate in its growth. When this happens the future will be even brighter!
.
The number of files illegally shared on the Internet dont stop to grow. As producer, how is this affecting you? What could be the solution?
.
This is affecting everyone. The whole industry is suffering because of this and the mindset that it breeds. It will take the whole industy to properly address this situation so that the music can once again be valued for what it is worth.
.
If you had the power to change anything in the music industry, what would be your first action?
.
There would be many things that I would address but I would love to see soulful dance music have the same access to the media outlets that other genres enjoy. This would give the music and the industry of this music an opportunity to grow tremendously so that we can enjoy our proper place in the sun.
.
PART II
.
What records are you currently spinning every time you play?
.
Everytime I play? Just want to play dope jams! You know the ones!
.
How would you classify your djing style?
.
I would say that I am open to many different genres and styles. I like to play for the people.
.
How big is your record collection?
.
I own a few thousad records.
.
If we looked in your cd player now, what kind of music we would see?
.
At this moment Bobby McFerrin but really I enjoy listening to any great artist. I just love music.
.

What is your own favourite track, the one you are most proud of? And remix?
.
My music is like having children. A parent loves all his children equally!
.
If you had the opportunity, with who would you like to work with?
.
I love to work with artists that inspire me, that motivate me. Folk that share a similar vision.
.
What can we expect to hear from you in the near future?
.
I pray only my best. That I continue to have an opportunity to grow so that I can contribute to the growth and quality of this soul stirring music, culture and lifestyle that I am a part of.
.
---------------
.
Listen here some of his work:
.
sample - Cafe Soul All Stars - “Urban Jungle” (Ian Friday Tea Party Vocal)
sample - DJ Genesis feat. Darnell Kendricks - “Willing” (Tea Party vocal)
sample1/sample2 - “Carib's Leap” (Tea Party vocal / West End Blue mix)
sample - Markus Enochson f. Ingela O - “Listen For It” (Tea Party remix)
sample - Blaze - “We Are One” (Ian Friday instrumental)
sample - "Renewal" (Southport Weekender2)

4 Comments:

  • At 4:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    he is really great man. please check out his new release coming soon on tea party music!

     
  • At 5:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great interview...his mix of "Listen for It" gave me boosebumps the first time I heard the bass line come in!

     
  • At 1:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Watch out for Ian Friday's best yet (in my opinion): Ian Friday feat. Erro - "Everything" Out soon I hope!

     
  • At 2:09 pm, Blogger Qudo said…

    Yeh agree about the ian friday and Erro track is dope but have to say first time i heard the 'Life starts today joint'....its tooooo heavy the vocals aer crazy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home