DeeperSoul Blog - Deep & Soulful House Music

Non-commercial and independent music blog. Strictly 4 the love of House...

Sunday, February 4

DeeperSoul Interview - Karizma

.

Martino
.

DJ Karizma is a Baltimorean who has been djing since he was 13, doing various shows and college parties. Former Basement Boy and now head of his own Kohesive Productions, Karizma is an internationally acclaimed artist due to his remixes, productions and the admirable ability he has to make people have fun in his dj sets.

.
How did “Karizma” come about?
.
Basically, I was in a hip hop group and didn’t want to use the name I was currently going under (Justin Human), so being that I was cool with all the social groups in school. I figured hey I must have some time of "charisma" and it’s close to my government name so...there’s the story.
.
What was your first musical experience?
.
I don't remember what my first musical experience was, but I do remember at age 5 I could tell you who produced, played, and what instruments were used to make a track on the radio or whatever was playing... that’s how much I was into music.
.
How did you get into house music and then production?
.
Well, I was never into just house music... I just liked good music (still do), it doesn’t matter what the genre is. It just so happens that what I have produced or play a lot of these days are around 125 bpms... But I got into production with a couple of friends and we owned a label Unruly Records, we did a lot of the now popularized Baltimore club music.
.
You represent and have worked within different musical genres, how does that affect your musical outlook?
.
Well, as I said before, I’m into good music, producing or playing it. The genre doesn’t matter just as long as it connects with me firstly then the crowd.
.
How much do you listen to house music in relation to other kinds of music?
.
Not a lot because I hate listening to any one kind of music for too long.
.
Tell me about your current favourite producers and what you like about them?
.
9th Wonder, Waajeed, Spinna, Ame, Osunlade, B.I.T.A., Dennis Ferrer, Jazzanova, Simbad, Krysis, the list could go forever. What I like about these people is that they push the envelope and are trying something different.
.
Do you play any instruments? How do you produce a song/track, what's your process?
.
Yes, I play keys and I love drum programming, the root of all music as for my process (ancient Chinese secret LOL). I don’t have a set process of producing or making music.
.
What producing equipment do you use?
.
ASR 10, Nuendo, Live 6, mpc 2000Xl, mpd 24,Guru.
.
What have the experiences working with Dj Spen and Basement Boys gained you?
.
I learned a lot about arrangement, mixing and engineering, and about relationships. In these days and time a lot of people forget it, music, fame and the likes will come and go, relationships last.
.
How much does the crowd influence you while djing?
.
50 percent of what the crowd wants is important, I feel you should play things that make them dance, you need to build a trust with them so that they can come into your world so to speak.
.
You've been playing in different countries and places, what have you gained from these experiences?
.
Respect and gratitude, because I’m so lucky to be able to do this thing called music.
.
What should young people who starts djing and get into house music keep in mind?
.
To not just get into house music. Listen/play whatever you like, don’t just stay in one genre, there’s so a lot of good music out there… PLAY IT ALL.
.

What can we expect to hear from you and Kohesive Productions in the near future?
.
The Album "Mind of its own" on R2 Records is coming out soon, March 20th, so be on the look out.
Ben Westbeech "Hang Around" Deepah 1ne and Kaytronik remixes
Markus Enochson "Endless Dance" K2 remixes
Syren "First Love"
Simbad "Soul Fever" K2 stomp Remixes.
.
.
Interview by Josephine

4 Comments:

  • At 8:30 am, Blogger kooliz said…

    nice on josie!

     
  • At 8:31 am, Blogger kooliz said…

    nice one josie!

     
  • At 2:42 pm, Blogger Buzzing'Fly said…

    Finally a Soulful Blog i can relate 2,good work and great interview. look 4ward to more...

     
  • At 2:03 pm, Blogger Qudo said…

    I saw Karizma at Soulmate AKA he killed it,he's unbelievable too much for words.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home