DeeperSoul Blog - Deep & Soulful House Music

Non-commercial and independent music blog. Strictly 4 the love of House...

Friday, August 15

DS Interview - Albert "Sterling" Menendez

.

Albert
.

"I love what's going on at the moment, there is a great deal of new talent pushing the boundaries of House music today and, of course, I give great respects to the original creators that continue to give us amazing music, the likes of Blaze, Terry Hunter, Jellybean, Todd Terry, David Morales, Osunlade, Frankie Feliciano, much respects!!!"

.
PART I
.
Could you tell us how you got into producing and about your early career?
.
I started production work in my early days in Miami with an original band called KRU, and a brilliant singer and songwriter, Nil Lara.
.
What’s your music background? Which artists have influenced you the most?
.
Classical piano. But my ears were glued to Jazz, Funk and Electro bands. Artists like Thelonious Monk, Brothers Johnson and Kraftwerk.
.
Nowadays we see Electro and 80’s sound influencing many House productions. Do you think that, in order to move on in house music, producers have to always look back?
.
I am a firm believer in knowing the history of music, it always allows you to have a starting point, an understanding, then you can bring your own ideas.
.
You have written and produced tracks for an impressive list of artists (Masters at Work, Raul Midon, Luisito Quintero and Su'Su Bobien, just to name a few), as well as played keyboards for people like Matthias Heilbronn or Fanatix. How grateful are these different experiences for you?
.
I am so grateful for those experiences. Working with the likes of the MAW crew, doing such fun and creative records, that opened my eyes to what was going on in the house scene at that time.
.
What do you think of the House Music scene at the moment and how do you think it will be in the future?
.
I love what's going on at the moment, there is a great deal of new talent pushing the boundaries of House Music today and, of course, I give great respects to the original creators that continue to give us amazing music, the likes of Blaze, Terry Hunter, Jellybean, Todd Terry, David Morales, Osunlade, Frankie Feliciano, much respects!!!
.
PART II
.
If we looked in your cd player now, what kind of music we would see?
.
Man, just hit the shuffle button on my I-pod and you'll see. From Mozart to Nirvana!
.
What is your own favourite track, the one you are most proud of? And remix?
.
I am still very much fond of "Believe" (Ricanstruction Label), the original mix. It has a special feeling. On the remix tip, "You Brought me Brighter Days" by Susu Bobien (Soundmen on Wax); she is an amazing singer.
.
If you had the opportunity, with whom would you like to work with?
.
Michael Jackson. I am still a huge fan. "Off The Wall" with Quincy at the helm. Brilliant!!!
.
How big is your record collection?
.
It’s big but right now its spread out in 3 different places, and I m not sure where is what...
.

What can we expect to hear from you in the near future?
.
I am ready to launch my 1st release on my label, Sterling Blue Music, with a song with a dear friend, Jon Secada, called "When Night Time Comes". I hope you'll dig it.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home