DeeperSoul Blog - Deep & Soulful House Music

Non-commercial and independent music blog. Strictly 4 the love of House...

Tuesday, April 17

Interview with Kai Alce


kai
.
Kai Alce has been an integral part of the Atlanta house scene, Djing, Promoting, and Producing & crafting the A-Town sound for decades. He has hosted DJs such as Derrick May, King Britt, Phil Asher and collaborated with producers Jovonn, Omar S & Chez Damier to name a few. His other endeavors include House in the Park which he co-founded with DJ Ramon "Rawsoul" and has become an annual "Must-attend-event" that attracts 1000's every Sunday before Labor Day. In 2010 he began his latest monthly residency Distinctive located at the the SoundTable while continuing to tour domestically as well as internationally, being warmly received by audiences around the globe.


PART I
.
Could you tell us how you got into djing / producing and about your early career?
.
I was turned onto to djing by way of my friends older brother, we went to a friend of his who had 2 turntables and a mixer and after playing on them that one night I knew then I wanted to learn the art of djing; coincidentally, I began djing professionally years later. Producing came a little later by way of hanging out in KMS studios with my cuz Chez Damier.
.
What’s your music background? Which artists have influenced you the most?
.
Well, my parents are Haitian so lots of calypso/zouk music, then in my early years in New York I gained the affection for disco & hip hop. Then fate would have me move to Detroit and in the midst of all the new music that was being created there.
.  
You have your own record label, NDATL. What’s the concept behind it? Do you have any specific target?
.
First, NDATL stands for New York, Detroit and Atlanta. Three places where I've lived. New York and Detroit (with a taste of Chicago too) crafted my sound and Atlanta being the place where I was able to use what I've learned. As far as NDATL as a label I just wants to put out good projects that exemplify the standards I was raised on.
.
You released a series of 12”s to honor the Music Institute’s 20th anniversary – what made you decided to do it and did it meet your expectations?
.
I was working on track and it just took me back to the feeling of the MI. Coincidentally it was 20yrs since the closing of the MI so it just all came together. It met & exceeded my expectations. Look for a CD comp to be released this year with never before seen pictures, flyers & testimonials from DJ's & patron alike.
.
You have been instrumental in collaborating and producing with many. How difficult is to put together different musicians working together? Could you tell us a bit about how this process works?
.
All the collaborations I have been a part of have gone pretty smoothly. Usually, either I'm at their studio or they come in town to Atlanta, we turn the machines on and the rest is history.
.
How did working at a record store affect you and your music?
.
I don't know how it affected me but it was great to always have first dibs on releases and just staying informed.
.
If you had the power to change anything in the music industry, what would be your first action?
.
Better yet than changing the music industry I'd like to change people's attitude on sharing music, but since that's a pipe dream I guess to figure out a way to sell mp3's without them being shared... Oh wait, that's a pipe dream too. I guess that's why I sell vinyl :)
.
PART II
.
If we looked in your cd/mp3 player right now, what kind of music we would see?
.
Well, I don't own an mp3 player and the CD player in my car it would either be a CD of new track that I'm feeling or music that I'm working on. Now my CD player in my living room would probably be some hip hop or Jazz.
.
What is your own favorite track, the one you are most proud of? And remix?
.
It would be a tie btw The Floating EP, Power Thru Pt 3 feat. Azulu Phantom and my contribution to MI Pt 1. Remix would be the Robert Owens "Sacrifice". Big ups to Ricky Corey & Simbad for their assistance on that.
.
If you had the opportunity, with whom would you like to work with?
.
I've worked with him in the sense that I've released and remixed his work but I'd like to do a true collab with him one day: Larry Heard.
.
What records are you currently spinning every time you play?
.
A new Javonntte project and a new Brett Dancer coming on NDATL, Abacus pres iDRUM CRAZY!!! The new Chris Gray on Downbeat.
.
Will you be attending the Detroit Music Festival? Where should one go to hear you play?
.
Yes I will be attending & they can catch me, Specter & Marcellus Pittman @ Deep Detroit Vol 4 an annual party that NDATL has @ the legendary 1515 Broadway venue that housed many of the Detroit underground events after the closing of the Music Institute.
.
What can we expect to hear from you in the near future?
.
Just good deep shit.
.
Interview by Julie Marie Cochran

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home